Main Article Content
High levels of LDL cholesterol can lead to heart disease because of clogging and hardening of the arteries. One of the medicinal plants that can reduce levels of LDL cholesterol in the blood is a bay leaf. The content of flavonoids and tannins in the bay leaves serves to lower levels of fat and cholesterol in the blood.Â This study aims to determine the effect of decoction of bay leaves (Eugenia polyantha Wight.) to the decrease LDL cholesterol level in mice (Rattus norvegicus) with hypercholesterolemia.Â This study is purely experimental research with Pre and Post Test With Control Group Design, using 25 white rats as experimental animals were divided into five groups, which are the positive control group, three treatment groups and the comparison group. LDL cholesterol levels were measured by the method of Precipitation Reagent For In Vitro Determination of LDL cholesterol with the CHOD-PAP by photometric systems. Data were analyzed descriptively and statistically using One Way ANOVA test and t-test independent sample. Descriptive analysis found the percentage of the decrease of serum LDL cholesterol levels in mice of hypercholesterolemia at doses 0.18 gram/200 gram of weight was 25.96%, at dosess 0.27gram/200 gram of weight was 23:45%, and at doses 0.36 gram/200 gram of weight was 35.94%. Results of One Way ANOVA test showed a significance of 0.000 which means there is the effect of decoction of bay leaves to the decrease of LDL cholesterol levels in mice with hypercholesterolemia. T-test results found that the decoction of bay leaves at doses 0.36 gram/200 gram of weight lowers LDL cholesterol levels were comparable with administration of simvastatin at doses 0.18 mg/200 gram of weight (P > 0.05).
The conclusion of this research was the decoction of bay leaves may lower serum LDL cholesterol levels in hypercholesterolemic mice with percentage of 25.96% at doses 0.18 gram/200 gram of weight, 23:45% at doses 0.27 gram/200 gram of weight, and 35.94% at doses 0.36 gram/200 gram of weight. The decoction of bay leaves at doses 0.36 gram/200 gram of weight may lower LDL cholesterol levels which comparable with administration of simvastatin at doses 0.18 mg/200 gram of weight (p > 0.05).
Publishing your paper with Jurnal Teknologi Laboratorium (JTL) means that the author or authors retain the copyright in the paper. JTL granted an exclusive reuse license by the author(s), but the author(s) are able to put the paper onto a website, distribute it to colleagues, give it to students, use it in your thesis etc, even commercially. The author(s) can reuse the figures and tables and other information contained in their paper published by JTL in future papers or work without having to ask anyone for permission, provided that the figures, tables or other information that is included in the new paper or work properly references the published paper as the source of the figures, tables or other information, and the new paper or work is not direct at private monetary gain or commercial advantage.
JTL journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. This journal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This license lets others remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
JTL journal Open Access articles are distributed under this Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-SA). Articles can be read and shared for All purposes under the following conditions:
- BY: You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- SA: If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
2. Direktorat Bina Farmasi dan Alat Kesehatan Departemen Kesehatan. 2013, Februari 28. Pharmaceutical Care Untuk Pasien Penyakit Jantung Koroner: Fokus Syndrom Koroner Akut. Diunduh tangal 16 November 2013 dari www.binfar.depkes.go.id/bmsimages/1361351516.pdf
3. Departemen Kesehatan RI. 2012. Penyakit Tidak Menular. Diunduh tanggal 14 November 2013 dari www.depkes.go.id/downloads/BULETIN%20PTM.pdf
4. Wijayakusuma, H. 2008. Ramuan Herbal Penurun Kadar Kolesterol. Jakarta: Pustaka Bunda
5. Soeharto, I. 2004. Penyakit Jantung Koroner dan Serangan Jantung. Jakarta: Gramedia Pustaka Utama
6. Tjay, T.H., dan Rahardja, K. 2007. Obat-Obat Penting. Edisi 6. Jakarta: PT Gramedia
7. Dalimartha, S. 2000. Atlas Tumbuhan Obat Indonesia. Jilid 2. Jakarta: Trubus Agriwidya
8. Agromedia. 2006. Ramuan Tradisional untuk Mengatasi Aneka Penyakit. Jakarta: Agromedia Pustaka
9. Dalimartha, S., dan Adrian,F. 2013. Ramuan Herbal Tumpas Penyakit. Jakarta: Penebar Swadaya
10. Dalimartha, S. 2007. Tanaman Obat di Lingkungan Sekitar. Jakarta : Kaliptia Raya
11. Hariana, A. 2007. Tumbuhan Obat dan Khasiatnya Seri 3. Jakarta: Penebar Swadaya
12. VitaHealth. 2006. Seluk Beluk Food Suplement. Jakarta: PT Gramedia Pustaka Utama
13. Rahardjo, M., dan Hernani. 2005. Tanaman Berkhasiat Antioksidan. Jakarta: Penebar Swadaya
14. Marks, D.B., Marks A.D., Smith C.M. 2012. Biokimia Kedokteran Dasar: Sebuah Pendekatan Klinis. Alih Bahasa: Brahm U. Pendit. Jakarta: EGC
15. Suharmiati dan Maryai, H. 2003. Sehat dengan Ramuan Tradisional Khasiat dan Manfaat dari Jati Belanda. Surabaya: Agromedia Pustaka
16. Guyton, A.C., Hall, J.E., 2007. Buku Ajar Fisiologi Kedokteran, Edisi 11, Editor Bahasa Indonesia Irawati Setiawan. Jakarta: EGC