Alcian blue as a kidney staining in diabetic mice: An overview after administration of Lactobacillus plantarum
One of the complications of Diabetes Mellitus (DM) is damage to the kidneys. Using L. plantarum, it can reduce glucose levels so that it is also possible to repair damaged kidney structures. The process of repairing the kidney structure by L plantarum can be seen microscopically in the glomerulus with Alcian Blue staining (AB). The purpose of the study was to determine the differences in the microscopic results of DM rat kidneys after treatment of L. plantarum with AB staining. The study sample used the kidneys of DM mice. The kidney of DM mice that were given L. plantarum at a dose of 1.0 ml/mice in each treatment, T1 (dose 1×1 times a day), T2 (dose 1×2 times a day), T3 (dose 1×3 times a day), then performed AB staining. The results of cytoplasmic cells in the glomerulus in negative controls/sick mice are stained dark blue/concentrated (strong intensity) with a score of 4, normal controls/healthy mice are not stained blue (negative) with a score of 1. T1 is a stained light blue score of 3, T2 is a stained light blue score of 3, and T3 is a colored pale blue score of 2. Based on these results, it was found that the color intensity of the AB kidney treatment of DM rats was the best in reducing glucose residues.
There is no Figure or data content available for this article
- Dav G, Santilli F, Patrono C. Nutraceuticals in Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome Diabetes Mellitus and Metabolic Syndrome?: Role of Inflammation and Oxidative Stress. Cardiovasc Ther. 2010;28:216-226. doi:10.1111/j.1755-5922.2010.00179.x
- Shin J, Lee J, Lim S, et al. Metabolic syndrome as a predictor of type 2 diabetes, and its clinical interpretations and usefulness. J Diabetes Investig. 2013;4(4). doi:10.1111/jdi.12075
- CDC. National Diabetes Statistics Report.; 2020.
- Sartika F, Purbayanti D, Safitri D. Gambaran laju filtrasi glomerulus pada penderita diabetes mellitus tipe 2 di RSUD DR. Doris Sylvanus Palangkaraya. J Surya Med. 2018;3(2):13-21.
- Sari N, Hisyam B. Hubungan antara diabetes melitus tipe II dengan kejadian gagal ginjal kronik di Rumah Sakit PKU Muhammadiyah Yogyakarta periode Januari 2011-Oktober 2012. JKKI. 2014;6(1):11-18.
- Kartikasari O, Astuti AD, Berkah M, Wabula M, Dewi SS. Aktivitas Lactobacillus plantarum Isolat Air Susu Ibu pada Tikus Galur Wistar Diabetes Mellitus. 2019;10(November):422-429.
- Doan C. Special Stains-Which OOne, Why and How? Part 1: Mucins and Glycogen _ Leica Biosystems. https://www.leicabiosystems.com/knowledge-pathway/special-stains-which-one-why-and-how/.
- Wahyuni S, Zuchri, Hamny, Jalaluddin M, Adnyane IKM. Studi Histokimia Sebaran Karbohidrat Usus Biawak Air (Varanus salvator). Acta Vet Indones. 2015;3(2):77-84.
- Li X, Wang N, Yin B, et al. Effects of Lactobacillus plantarum CCFM0236 on hyperglycaemia and insulin resistance in high-fat and streptozotocin-induced type 2 diabetic mice. J Appl Microbiol. 2016;121:1727-1736. doi:10.1111/jam.13276
- Teme ABY, Selan YN, Amalo FA. Gambaran anatomi dan histologi esofagus dan proventrikulus pada ayam hutan merah (Gallus gallus) asal Pulau Timor. J Vet Nusant. 2019;2(2):85-103.
- Oh M, Jang H, Lee S, et al. Lactobacillus plantarum HAC01 Supplementation Improves Glycemic Control in Prediabetic Subjects: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial. Nutrients. 2021;13:1-10.
- Lee Y, Lee D, Park G, et al. Lactobacillus plantarum HAC01 ameliorates type 2 diabetes in high-fat diet and streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice in association with modulating the gut microbiota. food func. 2021;12:6363-6373. doi:10.1039/d1fo00698c
- Panwar H, Calderwood D, Grant IR, Grover S, Green BD. Lactobacillus strains isolated from infant faeces possess potent inhibitory activity against intestinal alpha- and beta-glucosidases suggesting anti- diabetic potential. Eur J Nutr. 2014. doi:10.1007/s00394-013-0649-9
- Sefidgari-abrasi S, Karimi P, Roshangar L, et al. Lactobacillus plantarum And Inulin?: Therapeutic Agents to Enhance Cardiac Ob Receptor Expression and Suppress Cardiac Apoptosis in Type 2 Diabetic Rats. 2020:1-14.
- Zhong H, Zhang Y, Zhao M, et al. Screening of novel potential antidiabetic Lactobacillus plantarum strains based on in vitro and in vivo investigations. LWT - Food Sci Technol. 2020. doi:10.1016/j.lwt.2020.110526
- Liu W, Yang M, Wu Y, Chen P, Hsu C, Chen L. Lactobacillus plantarum reverse diabetes- induced Fmo3 and ICAM expression in mice through enteric dysbiosis-related c-Jun NH2- terminal kinase pathways. PLoS One. 2018:1-23.
- Wardati Y, Deswati DA, Idayati. Uji aktivitas antidiabetes melitus tipe II infus buah kesemek (Diospyros kaki Linn.) terhadap tikus jantan putih galur wistar. Kartika J Ilm Farm. 2014;2(2):39-44.
- Lee E, Jung S-R, Lee S-Y, Lee N-K, Paik H-D, Lim S. Lactobacillus plantarum Strain Ln4 Attenuates Diet-Induced Obesity, Insulin Resistance, and Changes in Hepatic mRNA Levels Associated with Glucose and Lipid Metabolism. Nutrients. 2018;10(643). doi:10.3390/nu10050643
- Youn HS, Kim J, Lee S, et al. Lactobacillus plantarum Reduces Low-Grade Inflammation and Glucose Levels in a Mouse Model of Chronic Stress and Diabetes. Infect Immun. 2021;89(8):615--620.
- Meng X, Qian Y, Kang LJJ. Effects of Lactobacillus plantarum SCS2 on blood glucose level in hyperglycemia mice model. Appl Biol Chem. 2016;59(1):143-150. doi:10.1007/s13765-015-0135-6
- Gulnaz A, Nadeem J, Han J, et al. Lactobacillus Sps in Reducing the Risk of Diabetes in High-Fat Diet-Induced Diabetic Mice by Modulating the Gut Microbiome and Inhibiting Key Digestive Enzymes Associated with Diabetes. Biology (Basel). 2021;10(348):1-20.
How to Cite This
Copyright and Permissions
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Publishing your paper with Jurnal Teknologi Laboratorium (JTL) means that the author or authors retain the copyright in the paper. JTL granted an exclusive reuse license by the author(s), but the author(s) are able to put the paper onto a website, distribute it to colleagues, give it to students, use it in your thesis etc, even commercially. The author(s) can reuse the figures and tables and other information contained in their paper published by JTL in future papers or work without having to ask anyone for permission, provided that the figures, tables or other information that is included in the new paper or work properly references the published paper as the source of the figures, tables or other information, and the new paper or work is not direct at private monetary gain or commercial advantage.
JTL journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge. This journal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This license lets others remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
JTL journal Open Access articles are distributed under this Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-SA). Articles can be read and shared for All purposes under the following conditions:
- BY: You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- SA: If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.